Review: Online Learning
Definitions of Online Learning
- Online learning is distance education that is made available through an internet connection. Due to this mode of delivery, online learning can be made accessible worldwide .
- Online learning is any form of learning conducted partly or wholly over the Internet .
- Online learning means that your educational tool is based on (and accessible from) the Internet. Online learning programs are anytime / anywhere tools, which also means learning from home .
Categories and types of Online Learning
- Three categories or type of online learning according to  are;
- Asynchronous Online Courses
- These types of course offerings do not take place in “real–time. Students are provided with content and assignments and are given a time frame to complete course work and exams. Interaction usually takes place through discussion boards, blogs and wikis. As a result, there is no class meeting time.
- Asynchronous online learning environments are effective for students with time constraints or busy schedules.
- Synchronous Online Courses
- These types of course offerings require the instructor and all enrolled students to interact online simultaneously. Similar in some ways to a webinar, participants interact through text, video or audio chat. Synchronous learning environments enable students to participate in a course from a distance in real time.
- Hybrid Courses
- Hybrid courses, also known as blended courses, are learning environments that allow for both in–person and online interaction. Typically, hybrid courses meet in person several times during a semester and provide for computer–based communication in between those face to face sessions.
- Asynchronous Online Courses
Common Characteristic of Online Learning
10 common characteristics of successfully online learning;
- Tailors Content To The Target Audience
- Leverages A Microlearning Approach
- Offers Easy Access
- Delivers Content In A Sleek And Modern User Interface (UI)
- Offers Content That Is Practical And Actionable
- Integrates Multimedia
- Assesses Learners In A Meaningful Way
- Promotes A Sense Of Community
- Collects Learner Feedback
- Prioritizes Flexibility
Online Learning consideration
- According to studies conducted  and , three main variables affect the effectiveness of online delivery:
- 2.Instructor characteristics; and
- 3.Student characteristics
- Factors findings:
- Ease of access and navigation. Which the students can access the site and the usability of the software in general
- Interface. Visual structure and design of the Internet course
- Interaction. Interactive abilities of the course, between all students and the instructor
- Attitudes towards students. Relate to the instructor’s personal approach and teaching manner, and their ability to motivate the students
- Instructor technical competence. The instructor’s ability to use and promote the Internet technology effectively.
- Classroom interaction. The instructor’s ability to encourage students to interact and participate in class and through the Internet.
- Online learning key component is the internet connectivity.
- ID for an online learning content, must consider the capabilities features provided by the online learning platforms as well as the technicality readiness and availability.
- Nature of online learning which enable content been accessed almost at any places, open the potential and trend for Massively Open Online Course (MOOC).
 Defining online learning. University of Liverpool. https://www.online.liverpool.ac.uk/resource/defining-online-learning
 Online learning for beginners: 1. What is online learning? https://www.tonybates.ca/2016/07/15/online-learning-for-beginners-1-what-is-online-learning/
 What’s the Difference between Online Learning and Distance Learning? Sarah Layton on August 24th, 2017. https://www.aeseducation.com/blog/2013/09/difference-between-online-learning-and-distance-learning
 Types of Online Learning. Fordham University, US. https://www.fordham.edu/info/24884/online_learning/7897/types_of_online_learning/1
 How To Identify A Top Online Training Center. eLearning Industry. https://elearningindustry.com/top-online-training-center-10-characteristics
 Dillon, C.L. and Gunawardena, C.N. (1995), “A framework for the evaluation of telecommunications-based distance education”, in Stewart, D. (Ed.), Selected Papers from the 17th Congress of the International Council for Distance Education, Vol. 2, Open University, Milton Keynes, pp. 348-51.
 Leidner, D.E. and Jarvenpaa, S.L. (1993), “The information age confronts education: case studies on electronic classroom”, Information Systems Research, No. 4, pp. 24-54.
 Critical success factors in online education. Thierry Volery, Deborah Lord. International Journal of Educational Management. https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/pdfplus/10.1108/09513540010344731
If you like this article, then please follow me on Facebook. Thank you.