Definitions of Learning Style
- The term “learning styles” speaks to the understanding that every student learns differently. Technically, an individual’s learning style refers to the preferential way in which the student absorbs, processes, comprehends and retains information . – teach.com
Categories and types of Learning Style
- One of the most accepted understandings of learning styles is that student learning styles fall into three “categories:” Visual Learners, Auditory Learners and Kinesthetic Learners .
- These learning styles are found within educational theorist Neil Fleming VARK model of Student Learning.
- VARK is an acronym that refers to the four types of learning styles: Visual, Auditory, Reading/Writing Preference, and Kinesthetic.
Common Characteristic of Learning Style
- Visual Learners
- Thoughts wander during lectures
- Observant but may miss some of what is said
- Well organized
- Like to read and show intense concentration while reading
- Good speller
- Remember better by seeing charts, diagrams, etc.
- Concentrate well
- Need to see directions; not hear them
- Good handwriting
- Good memory for faces but forget names
- Plan ahead
- Not really talkative
- Attention to details
- Auditory Learners
- Like to talk
- Talk to self
- Lose concentration easily
- Prefer spoken directions over written directions
- Enjoy music
- Read with whispering lip movements
- Remember names
- Cannot concentrate when noisy
- Like listening
- Prefer lecture and discussion
- Prefer verbal praise from teachers
- Kinesthetic Learners
- Move around a lot
- Prefer not to sit still
- Move a lot while studying
- Like to participate in learning
- Like to do things rather than read about them
- Do not prefer reading
- Do not spell well
- Enjoy problem solving by doing
- Like to try new things
- Talk with hands or gestures
- Select clothes according to comfort
- Like to touch objects
Learning Style consideration
- Odds are, every student in a class has a different preferred learning style, which can make it difficult to be the most effective teacher.
- However, by trying to incorporate various methods into your teaching, you may be able to reach the majority of your students .
- Every individual/student has a different preferred learning style.
- The preferential way in which they absorbs, processes, comprehends and retains information.
- Student can be disengaged with learning if the learning process not in their preferred learning style .
- Therefore, choosing and using the most suitable learning style in teaching and learning is crucial to make sure student engaged and learning activities considered effectively delivered .
- Different platform of learning (traditional face to face or an online learning via web or mobile app) required creativity in the instructional design for each learning style.
 Learning Styles. All Students Are Created Equally (and Differently.) www.teach.com
 Characteristics of Learning Styles. Lincoln Land Community College . https://www.llcc.edu/student-services/cas/helpful-handouts/characteristics-of-learning-styles-2/
 Tips for Educators on Accommodating Different Learning Styles. University of Massachusetts. https://www.umassd.edu/dss/resources/faculty–staff/how-to-teach-and-accommodate/how-to-accommodate-different-learning-styles/
 Student Engagement and Achievement in AmericanSecondary Schools. Newmann, Fred M., Ed. 1992