December 5, 2018
eCommerce : OpenCart (184.108.40.206) – Introduction to OpenCart
Reading Time: 4 minutes. Enjoy!
AsSalam and hi all. In this eCommerce : OpenCart (220.127.116.11) – Part 1, we will cover on the Introduction to OpenCart. Lets start!
- OpenCart is an open source shopping cart solution.
- Just like any other open source software, OpenCart has its advantages and disadvantages.
- OpenCart built with PHP/HTML and MuSQL.
- Simple code design using Model-View-Controller (MVC).
- OpenCart is self-hosted, which means we need to install it on our own server (online or local).
- Basic system requirements for current OpenCart version (18.104.22.168) are:
- Web server (Apache is recommended, but also can be used on other such as nginx or IIS)
- PHP with cURL support (at least PHP5.4)
- Database software (MySQL is recommended, but other database such as MariaDB and PostgreSQL can also be used)
- OpenCart base consists of two different parts:
- Front store
- Each part contains an MVC structure for models, views and controllers,
- Original OpenCart project was a Perl-based online shopping cart system created in 1998. The project was abandoned in 2000.
- In 2009, the name OpenCart was used as open source shopping cart system built with PHP.
- As of February 2018, there are 3 major OpenCart versions.
- OpenCart 1.x (2009-2014)
- OpenCart 2.x (2014-2017)
- OpenCart 3.x
- Features and benefits of OpenCart for the store owner, OpenCart offers decent set of online store system.
- OpenCart capable to do most of the things expected from a free and open source shopping cart and can be extend it further through third party plugin.
- OpenCart enable admin to publish and organize product into categories.
- Store owner can use over 50 predefined product fields, exp;
- Generic fields like name, description and price
- Unique product identifiers like SKU, UPC and EAN, dimensions, option, attributes and more.
- Product can be sort and filter to make it easier for store owner and customers.
- OpenCart also can be used to sell digital products such as software, music or e-books by uploading files and attaching them to individual products.
- Process payment and handle shipping is two important element in any eCommerce website.
- OpenCart come with some 50 different payment plugin and a dozen of shipping extensions in default installation.
- This can be extended with hundreds of payment and shipping plugin from third party developers.
- Default payment solutions provided such as:
- Amazon Payments
- Manual bank transfer
- Cash on delivery
- Default shipping solutions provider such as:
- Royal Mail
- For our local (Malaysia) market, it is recommended using local payment gateway provider such as Billplz, iPay88, WebCash, SenangPay and MaybankPay.
- Example; Billplz
- OpenCart Billplz extensions : https://goo.gl/FsR1et
- Receive orders and manage customers is a task for store admin.
- OpenCart provide basic order and customer management process.
- First, store admin will receive, process and modify orders, generate invoice and print packing slips.
- Admin also can view and modify customer accounts, assign customer to different customer groups and view their purchasing histories.
- After made an order, customers can leave feedback about your products. Feedback is then displayed on product page.
- OpenCart enable store admin to run special price offer or discount campaigns.
- Three options are:
- Define a special price for each product and limit it to specific dates if it’s a limited time offer.
- Set product bulk pricing for wholesale buyers or to entice buyer to purchase larger quantity product.
oCreate discount coupon codes and send them out in a newsletter.
- OpenCart enable store admin to generate reports and see analytics.
- 4 reports can be generated are;
- Sales reports
- Product reports
- Customer reports
- Marketing reports
Default language is English. OpenCart also support multiple language by default.
Use and install translation language pack.
Multiple languages used in product descriptions, front store pages and admin-area interfaces.
- Sales reports
Thats it for an introduction. Next, I shall share on how to install and setup your OpenCart site.
If you like this article, then please follow me on Facebook. Thank you.